Thursday, October 17, 2013

For Kadie

This is for Kadie, because I am a slacker when it comes to my blog!

I think I am going to try something new.   Oh, you probably want to know what that is, don't you??  I am going to post some of the food I cook.  I know, boring right.  No it's not!  Recipes and pictures will be included.  Some are even great freezer meals!

I love having hot meals for lunch, but I can't cook a whole hot meal at work.  So why not have leftovers, right?  You obviously haven't met my teenage bottomless pit!  There are no leftovers in this house, at least not often.  Casseroles make great freezer meals two ways.

First way:  Double your recipe.  Make two pans of the casserole.  BUT just before you get to the put it in the oven part, wrap one of the casseroles, label with instructions and stick it in the freezer.  Yea!  Now you have dinner for another night too.  This doesn't work for all casseroles, but it works for most.

Second way:  Double your recipe.   I know, I know, you already did that for the first way.  Follow along.  Double the recipe, cook BOTH casseroles, eat one, and let the other cool. Once the second one is cool simply cut it into single portions and stick each one in a rubbermaid container and in the freezer it goes.  Now you have your own tv dinners to grab on the way to work :)

Yes, but you promised us recipes and pictures.  I did????  Ok, if you insist.

Here is what I made for dinner Tuesday.  One batch of the Chicken Enchiladas makes two pans.  So This recipe you can do either the first way and freeze one pan, or cook both of them.  I can get 14 meals out of the two pans for myself.  If my son is eating, I don't get near that because he eats 2-3 servings.  Like I said, bottomless pit.

Chicken Enchiladas

Sauce : 1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pint sour cream
Mix together and set 1 cup aside

Add: 1 medium onion, diced
1 small can Ortega diced green chilies (3 oz)
3 LB chicken or turkey in bite size pieces (cooked) (about 3 chicken breast)
Add to the larger amount of the sauce

12-15 small flour tortillas
1 LB jack cheese, shredded (original recipe only calls for 9oz, but I like lots of cheese and feel that it really needs a full pound to be split between the two pans)

Put large glob (about 2 heaping tablespoons on each tortilla and roll enchilada style

Place seam side down in pan (8 fit in 9x13 pan) (6 fit in 8x11 pan) yes it will all fit in one really large pan, but it doesn't cook as well.

Smear reserved sauce over top
Sprinkle grated cheese over top of enchiladas

Bake, uncovered @ 350* for about 30 minutes (until hot and bubbly)


Before going into the oven



Hot and bubbly coming out of the oven.  Yummy, yummy!!!



Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. I love that this post is for me! :-) And I am super excited for this new concept! I can't wait to try the above recipe! :-)

    ReplyDelete